2008 Meeting (Maine)
May 16-18, 2008
The 2008 SEAPRE was held on Appledore Island at the Shoals Marine Laboratory on May 16-18, 2008. Twenty-one participants, representing 13 island systems were present and came from as far away as Australia and Japan. The group was a mix of academics, graduate students, and managers working for federal/national agencies. In general, here's what happened. You can also download a detailed description of the meeting (.pdf).
- Four new systems were introduced in New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Japan, and Sweden, and the main focus on the meeting was putting together the expanded outline of the book that we expect will be a primary product of these meetings. We've submitted a full book proposal to a publisher; if you are interested in contributing please contact Christa Mulder or Wendy Anderson. You can also download a detailed description of this book (.pdf).
- Protocols for standard measurements were discussed, and to initiate the development of these protocols, questionnaires for researchers and managers are in development.
- SEAPRE will have increased presence at future scientific meetings, at which point we'll be presenting results from our cross-system comparisons.
- The SEAPRE general meeting has been postponed, but SEAPRE participant Linda Welch will be attending the Gulf of Maine Seabird Working Group meeting and will introduce SEAPRE to island managers. We will aim to have a larger meeting with more managers at the next SEAPRE meeting.
- An informational database for use by SEAPRE participants and island managers was discussed.
- SEAPRE III will likely be held in April 2009 on the West Coast of the U.S...most likely California. More information is forthcoming.
- Once again, for more information on the meeting, please download a detailed description of the meeting (.pdf).
Take a look at a detailed agenda outline, logistical information, and background reading pertaining to the 2008 meeting. Download it here (.pdf)